The Beginning

It was May 2005 and I was FAT and very unhealthy, 2 packs a day unhealthy. I was looking through the weekly clipper and I saw an add. Bicycle for $499 at DNA. I figure 500 bucks what a deal, besides my brother-in-law and I had been talking about getting into cycling. I went to DNA and met this punk in a T-Shirt and low rise converse with some shredded shorts on. This was Don (The owner). I showed him the add and said this is what I want nothing more and nothing less. Now, most bike shops would try and up sale you into the latest and greatest, not Don, he pulled the bike down and said this is the one. I started asking some questions, once again most bike shops would try and sale you everything under the sun, Don said "Look man, all you need right now is some shorts so your ass doesn't hurt". I proceeded to spend about 2-3 hours talkin shop with Don. He told me what to eat while riding, what to eat after riding, he fitted me to my new Allez, told me to get shoes and pedals after I decide if I like cycling or not. That day was the day my life changed, and I sorta owe it to him (Don).

I took the bike home and the next morning I went for a ride around my neighborhood, I was free. I could go as fast as I wanted , I could smell the desert, I could see the beautiful sunrise, I could feel the wind on my face, I was riding a freakin bicycle, I felt like a kid again, I rode and rode, maybe about 4 miles it was awesome. When I got home I pushed my Allez into the house and laid on the couch to ride out the heart attack I was having.

My brother-in-law came over to check out the new rig, he was so impressed as was I, we were both like, "Man, that is the sweetest bike ever, carbon forks, and seat post". He took it for a spin and that was all it took. He had his own Allez several weeks later from DNA. We took our first ride together, we had our cycling computers and minimal gear, but we rode-10 miles, I was amazed that we rode 10 miles and 14mph. It felt great. Cycling became my new addiction.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are amazing for what you did for you and your family i bet you your family is so proud of you. you changed your life around you are like a hero to your family and the marinines that your helping.