Tour De Tucson | 2007

It has been a month since the 4c's. Jason, Max and I have been training hard. We all are "On top of the Pedal". Its been a good training season.

Jason got to Tucson Thursday night for business,My Wife, Max and I drove up Friday. Of course we had lunch at the Macaroni Grill (rain man). Jason did not join us, he can mix up anything before race day, it does not bother him in the least.

Although we trained separate, we met at 4:10am on race day. We drove the start line. We got there at 4:30am (rain man). Lined up behind the platinum, well we tried, there was about 100 people ahead of us who did not belong there, but oh well what can you do.

7:00am the race begins, The 3 of us together going for platinum. The first 7 miles is like being shot out of a cannon. At 7 miles there is the first river crossing. You literally have to get off your bike and carry it across the wash.

This was our first separation, I blasted out of the wash and got with a super fast pack. Jason made it through got in his own pack, and Max had to stop and get the dirt out of his cleats. The pack I was in was too fast, I got spit out the back. I was flying solo, I knew a pack would be coming, I looked over my shoulder and nothing, looked again and I see the pack.

As the pack approaches I see Jason on the front, I look again and I see Max on the front, these two were rotating pulls on the front of this huge pack and they were motoring. I joined them, This was around mile15 or so, we were all together again.

Around mile 35 or so there is a massive downhill known as freeman, we were cruising about 25 mph down this hill, we needed to be faster. I broke out of the pack and dropped the hammer, Max came with me, and Jason was soon on our wheels. The 3 of us were pulling a pack of about a 100-150 at 36 mph. Don (DNA) would have been proud. Team DNA was rockin the tour...out front killin it.

We came to the 2nd crossing, Max had a good lead out and soon disappeared. Jason and I made it through the crossing and continued together until about mile 64.

We were all on our own now to battle, to finish what we started 3 years ago, and battle we did.

Max: 4:53:28
Dan: 4:58:15
Jason: 5:01:40

PLATINUM: 5:00:00

We did it! We won the war.




























Thanks to my wife for her 100% support for the last 3 years. I could not have done it without her.

That $499.00 ad changed my life forever.

I Quit Smoking
I Lost 40 pounds
I rode over 6,345 miles
I got PLATINUM!

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

I am SO proud of you honey! You worked so hard and you deserved this! I love you!

Anonymous said...

Holy s---.........my son's not only a great rider but a great writer also. Naturally.......I have a tear in my eye!

Anonymous said...

A great story brother! Thank you for living it and sharing it with us all! You are an example for us all to NEVER give up!

Anonymous said...

Dan....I love the description of your first ride and the high of feeling FREE....It makes me want to take up the sport!

Unknown said...

In China I used to ride from one village to the next. Sandy eggo is too far. Dan, I loved reading this and Im so excited to get started this winter! When I go to shop for my bike I will need you to go with me. I will pay you to be my advisor! See you soon! Im proud of you. love you brother, MW