The 4C's | 2007

Oh Boy, were do I start. First it's a 4 hr drive to Douglas. Max and I stopped in Tucson(rain man) for my Maccaroni Grill Lunch. It's a good thing Max likes the place as well. We finished our lunch and continued on to Douglas.

We decided to book a room at the official hotel of the 4C's The Gadsden. This hotel was built in 1923 and believe me, not much had changed since then. Some of the "charm":
The story goes that Pancho Villa rode his horse into this hotel. He rode right up the steps I am standing on.



















He now haunts the place......scary! The elevator in this place needed an operator to ride up and down.

The race....freakin brutal. It starts with a 27 mile climb, that includes Mule Pass at the end of the climb: 8.7% gradient.After the climb, you are out in the sticks, I mean complete nothingness...alone, no packs, no riders, just you and the 25mph in your face the whole time winds. It is like a swirling tornado for the entire 92 miles. You think "it will be at my back eventually"....NOT.
I voted that the absolute worst 20 miles on a bicycle was the last 2o of the Tour De Tucson-Silverbell rd. Well, the I-191 has completely trumped that. This is the last 20 of the 4c's, and it is by far the hardest 20 I have ever done on a bike.

Max and I finished.....

Dan: 4:46:28
Max: 4:27:20

PLATINUM: 4:15:00

No comments: